Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Mr Match by JA Huss (#5 Mister)

Title: Mr Match
Series: Mister (#5)
Author: JA Huss
From: Review Copy
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Release Date: 7th December 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (12 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Oliver Shrike thinks ahead. He likes to make lists and tick off boxes. He plans, he plots, and he’s got everything under control. Until one day he sees my videos on his dating site. The private erotic videos I make just for him. When I’m looking at the camera I can practically see his face. Hear the internal arguments. Feel his desire. Because I’m that kind of woman. You should delete my videos, Oliver Shrike. It’s your job to keep that dating site on the up and up. But you don’t, do you?You watch them. You get off to them. You crave them. Every week I make a new one with you in mind. I’ve got you addicted to my body, my moans, my secrets. I’ve hooked you now, Mr. Match. You’ve been in control for way too long and this is where it ends.

Mr Match is the fifth, and final, book in the Mister series and should not be read as a standalone. The reader needs to be aware of the events of the previous books in order to fully appreciate that. This review is likely going to be frustratingly cryptic because I just can't risk giving too much away! 

So this was the perfect ending...Oliver wasn't really anything like I expected him to be, and I don't know why because he's the perfect combination of his parents' influence as well as being his own man. You don't have to have read Spencer and Veronica's story (Bomb/Guns) in order to understand Oliver's because they're completely separate, but there were moments when I enjoyed the nods to previous books and the personality traits of the original gang. 

Oliver and Kat had amazing chemistry, like seriously amazing. They didn't even have to be in the same room and they were incredibly hot to read. I was trying to think of a way to describe their story, and the closest I can come up with is a second chance romance...except that's not quite right either, for various reasons. I really felt them together, and while they're not my favourite Mister couple (toss up there between Nolan/Ivy and Pax/Cindy), their story was spot on.

Now the twists and turns...on reflection there are some points in the previous books that *could* point in the right direction, but I don't think I noticed them particularly. The way that it was all tied up worked well, it gave an explanation for everything (well almost everything, there is still one mystery that I really REALLY want solved, but it'll hopefully be a future book!) at the same time as being suitably twisted.

And the epilogue...just worked. I was getting a little bit emotional from reading it, probably because I realised that this was it for the Misters, and while I don't doubt that they could appear in future Huss books, they're unlikely to be the centre of attention once again.

This is a fantastic series, with each couple having their own struggles. There are twists, turns and intrigue aplenty and you just can't predict it. Yet, it all still comes together in a way that makes you realise it all made sense all along!

Oh also, read this in two sittings (only because I had to drive in between). Didn't want to put it down at all.

Read the series. No, seriously, read it now!