Monday, 5 December 2016

Need by N Isabelle Blanco & K I Lynn (#1 Need)

Title: Need
Series: Need (#1)
Authors: N Isabelle Blanco, K I Lynn
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 3rd March 2015
Challenges:  2016 Blogger Shame2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge 2016 Reading Assignment
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): I was Kira’s from the first moment I saw her. Maybe it was love at first sight, but I was only ten. She became my best friend. My crush. The girl I can’t live without. But I have to. She was almost mine, but my father took away my chance. Now she lives across the hall from me. Instead of possessing the title of girlfriend, she’s now my stepsister. But that doesn’t stop how I feel, how I want her. Thankfully, I’m off to college two hundred miles away, but even that doesn’t help. She’s under my skin, all around me, and all I can do is watch her morph from a sexy teenager to an irresistible woman. I can’t take it anymore, I need her. Is it possible to ever be happy without the one person you need?

A slight disclaimer before I really get into my review, well a couple really. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to write about this book, and asked advice from the ladies in the ever-helpful COYER facebook group, so with their encouragement, here is my, potentially contradictory in places, review!

Let me start by saying that I don't really read step-brother romances, I have a step-brother myself, so find the whole idea that little bit icky, but I've read books by both of the authors of this one before, and enjoyed their work, so this one ended up on my Reading Assignment list. 

I wasn't too sure about some parts of the book. This reads like NA, with plenty of graphic language and thoughts, so while the characters are mostly YA age (through most of the book, the younger character, Kira, is between 15 and 18 years old), there was a lot more sexual content than I'd expect under normal circumstances. It did make me feel a little bit pervy while reading (and I'll get to why I didn't stop in a minute) but if this had involved two adult characters then I would definitely have catagorised it as hot, because it was. There was some great chemistry sizzling away. But Kira's age was a big deal to the plot, which kind of counteracted that. 

I kind of found it difficult to like the male lead, Brayden, at all. He treated Kira really badly almost from the start (though they were kids at the very beginning and that was just cute!) He didn't seem to really think about what he was doing. Now the whole story was about the angst the two of them were feeling about their highly forbidden relationship, so it did kind of work, and most of the book is the two of them lashing out at one another, quite badly in some cases. 

Now...completely disregard everything I just said. Because this book was ridiculously addictive. To the point where I couldn't put it down for more than 15 minutes at a time, and I one clicked the sequel as soon as I finished. I'm not sure exactly what it was about it that made it this way, but despite all the things that should be raising alarm bells for me, they really didn't!